Canada's Libraries and Archives
RSC Expert Panel on The Status and Future of Canada's Libraries and ArchivesPublished: June 2014
Searching: Search below by typing keywords, and/or by limiting using the various filters that are available. Limiting options include establishment year, institution type, type of library, and province/territory. To restart your search, click on "Reset All Filters", which will appear above the map after keywords and/or limiting filters have been selected.
Keywords:Background: This mapping and timeline application displays the location of, and the year of establishment for, many of the libraries and archives of Canada. Both libraries and archives are represented, and for institutions that function as both a library and an archives, they are indicated as "Combined" institutions ("mixed" indicates a particular community has more than one type of institution). All 4,798 represented institutions appear on the map, and roughly two-thirds of the institutions (3,077 of 4,798, or 64%) appear on the timeline. Possible data elements that might be included for a particular library or archives include the following: name, community, province/territory, institution, type, population served, establishment year, and URL. Note: multi-branch library systems are represented as one library (i.e., branch libraries are not represented), unless a particular branch library is located in a different community, in which case it is represented. In the default Map View, both the timeline and map can be resized via the down arrow appearing in the center below each panel, and the map can be panned and zoomed to focus on different geographic regions. In addition to the Map View, there are also List View and Grid View options, which display the search result records in particular formatted styles (these view options are available between the timeline and map panels). Finally, the search results can be exported in a variety of formats by clicking on the orange and white scissor icon which is located in the upper right corner above both the timeline panel and the map panel (the icon will appear after you hover your mouse over either the timeline panel or the map panel).
• Geocoder.ca API: http://geocoder.ca/?premium_api=1
• GeoNames Web Services API: http://www.geonames.org/export/geonames-search.html
• Google Geocoding API: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/
• Natural Resources Canada's CGNDB API: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/earth-sciences/geography/place-names/data/9249
Library attribute data:
• Canadian Council of Archives' list of archives: http://www.archivescanada.ca/car/menu.html
• Libraries Canada, 2010/2011 25th Edition (Toronto, Ontario: Grey House Publishing, 2010)
• Library and Archives Canada's Canadian Library Gateway: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/gateway/s22-200-e.html
• National Statistical and Values Profile of Canadian Libraries: Report to CLA Executive Council, by Alvin M. Schrader and Michael R. Brundin (Canadian Library Association, November 30, 2012): http://cla.ca/wp-content/uploads/NationalValuesProfileCanadianLibrariesReportfinal.pdf
Project team members: Jeffery Antoniuk, Susan Brown, Michael Brundin, Patricia Demers, Brianna Erban, Mihaela Ilovan, Jessica MacQueen, Hamman Samuel, and John Simpson
Libraries Archives Combined